In 2015 Kenozero National Park completed emergency and conservation work at the cultural heritage site - the church of St. Apostle Andrew the First-Called and Elijah the Prophet in Vedyagina village. It became possible thanks to the implementation of the Russian-Norwegian project Wooden Architecture In The Cultural Landscape Of Kenozerye. Monitoring and Maintenance with the support of the Directorate for the Protection of the Cultural Heritage of Norway, RIKSANTIKVAREN.
Church in the name of St. Apostle Andrew the First-Called and Elijah the Prophet in Vedyagina village. Photo from the Park archive
The contractor was AD Silinsky E.B. It is very important that the work was carried out by the hands of local carpenters-builders under the guidance of experienced craftsman Vladimir Nikolaevich Ershov from Ust-Pocha. Worn-out logs were replaced, as well as individual damaged elements in the rafter structures of the roof, the roofs were covered with boards, the porch was repaired, the dome was removed. After restoration itwill be returned to its place.
The Church of the Apostle Andrew the First-Called and Elijah the Prophet was erected in 1899. The temple is a four-sided church with a five-sided altar, refectory and narthex. The main log house is completed with a long single-domed structure.Four-sided bell-tower has a tented top above the narthex. The church was closed in 1938 by decision of the Arkhangelsk Oblast Executive Committee. It has survived to our time and has not been rebuilt.
Lets remember that in the framework of the project Wooden Architecture In The Cultural Landscape of Kenozero. Monitoring and maintenanceemergency and conservation work was also carried out at the Church of the Purification of Virgin Maryin Ryapusovsky Pogost and the church of St. George the Victorious in Kazarinovskaya.